Thursday 5 July 2012

Pasteis de Nata


Hello again! I think I'm nearly finished updating my blog. How exciting!
Anyway. Back to the point.
Yesterday, I experimented and made Pasteis de Nata, also known as Portuguese Custard Tarts. And, as promised, I finally took some pictures for this long-forgotten blog ☺ They were surprisingly easy (especially seeing as I've never actually made custard before) and everybody loved them. Even if I do say so myself (my brothers actually hate custard, so I considered this a success). The recipes is really easy to follow and you probably have all of the ingredients in your fridge right now! So what are you waiting for?



Pasties de Nada (Portuguese Custard Tarts)
(Makes 18)

2 sheets of frozen & ready rolled puff pastry, thawed
1 cup of milk
3 tbs of cornflour
3/4 cup of caster sugar
1 (largish) tsp of vanilla essence
6 egg yolks


  1. Preheat your oven to 190C. Cut each sheet of puff pastry into thirds lengthwise, then crosswise to make (altogether) 18 squares. Lightly grease a 12-cup and a 6-cup muffin tin and line with pastry.
  2. Stirring constantly in a medium saucepan, combine milk, cornflour, sugar and vanilla until thick. Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk in half of the thickened milk mixture. Gradually add the egg yolk mixture back to the milk mixture in the saucepan. Cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes or until really thick.
  3. Fill each pastry cup with about one tablespoon of custard mixture, until all the custard is evenly doled out. Bake for 20 minutes.
*Just a warning: the custard is seriously hot. I burned my mouth on it when I ate it, even though it was only lukewarm on the outside. But, it was mostly worth it--they taste brilliant*








No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis